Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Affirmation

Affirmation
All of us are in need of affirmation. It is a basic need that no person is exempt from. Even Jesus Himself needed affirming word from heaven: “You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased” (Mark 1:11). But, unfortunately, many people experience a general lack of affirmation. Affirmation, however, is not optional, but totally necessary, for any person to function correctly.
In the book “The Five Love Languages” by Gary Chapman, one of the love languages is words of affirmation. My wife is well aware of this one because it is my love language. I am good at it, however need it a lot myself. The great thing is I can get it from God while in the word and prayer. The other thing is I do need it from my wife and kids. I often ask my kids, “Who loves their dad?” and wait for the answer from all three of them saying “Me” or “I do.” It is a basic need even though it is not one of my wife’s main love languages, she still needs to hear from me that I love her, I value her and appreciate her. It validates all she is doing as a mother and wife.
While I was working in the cooperate world, many times people would work very hard not for a bonus or extra incentives but more from their boss a, “job well done.”
Today and this week while going through your week find people in your circle of influence and give them affirming words. Please share any thoughts or insights you have found on the subject?

No comments: