Monday, March 30, 2009

Give Forgiveness Part 1

In the book of Matthew 18:21-22, Peter asks Jesus, “Lord how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?” Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.” It actually sounds like Peter was being kind of sarcastic here, when he says even up to seven times. But we have to remember that Jesus came to forgive us for our sins. What if Jesus said, seven times should be good. We would all have blown it a long time ago. I remember it clearly when I recommitted my live to Christ and it was by these 10 words. “Father forgive them, for they know not what they do”. After being whipped 39 times, being punched in the face, spit on, had to carry a cross in a crowd of haters, made to wear a painful crown of thorns and He says forgive them? I mean come on; he could have at any moment stopped it all. I remember reading this thinking, how could he love someone that much. But He does.

Today let’s remember the cross and who do we hold contempt against that we haven’t forgiven?

1 comment:

Brian Miller said...

mmm....looking forward to your posts this week. forgiveness seems more elusive than ever, at least the authentic kind. what greater peace wwe would find if we truly lived it.