Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Proverbs ROCKS!!

Proverbs 1:2-5, 7

"For attaining wisdom and discipline for understanding words of insight; for acquiring a disciplined and prudent life; doing what is right and just and fair; for giving prudence to the simple, knowledge and discretion to the young--let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge."



One of my goals this year is to read the entire Bible again. I come to the book of Proverbs and don't want to leave it, it is such a powerful book filled with all kinds of wisdom and knowledge.



It takes discipline to acquire wisdom and knowledge. To some it comes easier than others. I have always in my past struggled with retaining what I have read and sometimes often dreaded reading especially reading out loud. When I was young I did not see the importance of learning how to read and was more focused on what was going on around me and what I was missing out on rather than learning how to read. In the past ten years or so I started to understand the importance of reading and started to pray to God that I would retain what I read.



I am so glad that God has given me the desire not only to read, because I am hungry now for more, but also to retain the knowledge I am reading. I have a goal this year of reading 20+ books and I am on track. Now, I would never have had this hunger if God had not given it to me. God gives you the desires of your heart. Also while teaching a class this weekend; I usually share my lack of desire to read out loud...however God has given me the desire and skill to do it.



Today I challenge you to set a goal for yourself of reading. Maybe to some it is reading one chapter of the Bible a day, maybe to others it is reading a book a week. Whatever it is start today.

3 comments:

Brian Miller said...

reading makes all the difference in the world. i have always heard leaders are readers. it gives you other perspectives to consider and informs on those that we are trying to reach. it hones us in our skills and grows us in our wisdom. i am proud of your desire to read brad. keep it up. look forward to more book reviews. speaking of which, i have to get mine written, i have been procrastinating that one.

Brad said...

Thanks Brian for you kind comments! You have always been an inspiration to me especially in the reading department.

and write that book, I will be the first on the line to buy it!

The Glovers said...

I would challenge you to read my all-time favorite book:

Desiring God
by
John Piper

It will be worth the time.