Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Be Life Giving

Recently I came to a huge revelation when giving encouragement. The author of Hebrews writes in 3:13 to “encourage one another daily”. I have always done my best to encourage those around me. However I have found recently that sometimes for some reason when encouraging some people like in the past my employees or my kids I add a “however” or a “but” after a “great job” or “job well done.” I think I have done this because I didn’t want to build someone up too much and cause an arrogance or a pride issue.

In the parable of the talents in Matthew 25 and Luke 19, the master replied

“'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!'

I really feel like this is the one of the best examples of true encouragement. There was not a well done, good and faithful servant however you could have done better, or well done but you could have at least cleaned up your room before I came home. No he finished with a come and share in your master’s happiness.

Anytime we are encouraging someone we need to make sure we are being completely life giving because when you throw in the “however” or the “but” it can cancel out anything you said before that.

Today share in someone’s success and encourage them in something they did!

No comments: